It’s common for children to feel uncomfortable or anxious in social situations and to have difficulty interacting with others and developing friendships.
What causes difficulty with social skills?
- History of bullying
- Past failures or difficulties
- Low self-esteem
- Anxiety in social situations
- Diagnosis of ADHD
- Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Symptoms of poor social skills
- Fear of social situations
- Minimal interest in pursuing social interactions
- Difficulty picking up social cues like facial expressions or body language
- Difficulty with perspective taking
- Inappropriate verbal or nonverbal behaviour in social situations
How can psychology and counselling help?
We can work to help children to help them understand social dynamics and help them develop social skills to interact, communicate and problem solve in social situations so that they can develop strong relationships.